Isle of Harris . £24,000 – £26,000 pa pro rata . Full or Part Time . Fixed Term Contract
The Isle of Harris, known for its stunning scenery, has seen a marked increase in the number of visitors in recent years. An ideal destination for visitors looking to get out and about in nature, Harris offers something for everyone, with rugged mountains and wildlife spotting opportunities to the north and unspoilt golden sands and turquoise waters to the west.
This is an exciting opportunity for two enthusiastic and hardworking individuals to work closely with the West Harris Trust and North Harris Trust to provide communication and advice for visitors to the Isle of Harris.
These 4 month seasonal roles, to 31st October 2022, will focus on communicating and engaging with visitors to promote and engage with visitors to promote and encourage responsible access, camping and parking – in accordance with the Scottish Outdoor Access Code (SOAC) and Harris is a special PLACE (Parking, Litter, Animals, Camping, Engage) campaign. Postholders will also carry out tasks including regular patrols of visitor hotspots and litter picking. These roles will be expected to record and report their daily activities and engagements with visitors, whilst also carrying out a short survey to gain a better understanding of visitors and their experiences during their stay, leading to the production of an end of season report.
We are looking to recruit 1x full time Lead Warden and 1x part time (0.7FTE) Warden
The post holders will work closely together, with support from West Harris Trust and North Harris Trust managers. Working hours will vary, with Saturday and evening work required.
For more information on the West Harris Trust visit www.westharristrust.org and for the North Harris Trust www.north-harris.org.
What we need from you:
1. Good communication skills. Friendly and confident in engaging with people. Diplomatic but with an ability to have challenging conversations.
2. Practical experience is desirable alongside a willingness to learn.
3. Organised, self-motivated and able to work both independently, and with other staff.
4. Be prepared to work to risk assessments and health and safety policies.
5. Full, clean driving licence essential.
6. Flexible approach to working hours as weekend and evening work will be essential.
7. Ability to speak / understanding of Gaelic is desirable.
- These roles will involve lone working and working in remote locations.
- These roles will require weekend and evening working, with hours worked Mon-Sat.
- Ideally contracts will be from early June until 31st October 2022, but may be shorter depending on candidates’ available start date.
- These roles are subject to external grant funding and appointments will only be made if funding is confirmed.
- Please note, Harris Voluntary Service have a vacancy for a similar post based elsewhere in Harris.
Isle of Harris Lead Warden Job Description (full time)
Isle of Harris Warden Job Description (0.7 FTE)
How to Apply
WHT Application Form
Completed application forms to be submitted to email@example.com by 12pm Friday 27th May 2022. From the applications, the Trust will form a shortlist who will be asked for interview, to be held week beginning 30th May 2022.
If you have any questions please do not hesitate to get in touch with Linda Armstrong on 01859 503 900 or firstname.lastname@example.org.